Saturday, February 6, 2010

MyAn's Truth (Episode 4)

“I kissed a girl and I liked it, the taste of her cherry chapstick. I kissed a girl just to try it, hope my boyfriend don’t mind…” Yes, I am singing that song. Am I getting gayer? God I hope not. The point of that song is the fact that there was one girl who didn’t turn me down. She was before Zye of course. Nyani might have even loved me. Yep, MyAn and Nyani. We were made for each other, right? Uh, WRONG!

Chick was too damn independent. She was so independent that one night I had dropped by her apartment to surprise her with roses and a night of wining and dining and got a surprise of my own. Am I romantic? Shhh…don’t let Zye know. But in any case, Nyani was so independent that when I arrived at her place I saw another car there. A rather nice car if I do say so myself. Either girly was dumb as hell or evil as hell because she had given me a key. And I used the S.O.B. to see what the fuck was going on in my girl’s house…without me.

I lost it. I don’t quite know if I ever had it all but if I did I lost every damn bit of it when I saw her with another man. A man who she had promised was only her best friend. Maybe it’s just me but none of my best friends have ever had their hands all under my britches…yes, britches. I’m allowed country moments.

Nyani was on the kitchen counter breathless and obviously about to get to business with Ron, her alleged best friend. After I saw all that the rest was a blur of screams, punches, and broken relics in her apartment. To cut the story short we broke up. It hurt me so bad because I was very close to being in love with that woman and then she did some janky shit like that. Hence…my cynicism has been well earned.

The point of all that extra knowledge was the fact that this trick tried to come back to me. Surprising how commonplace it is to go to a grocery store but never expect to meet with someone you knew, especially someone that had cheated on you and incinerated your heart. Zye and I had been looking for something to try out on the grill that I had just bought. It was a nice grill. Had the latest everything on it. We’d been official for about three weeks at this time and the love was there from the moment we met.

There was a good sale on a variety of steaks so Zye and I were debating on which steak would be the best to try first. Then, I saw her. Walking towards us with a smile on her face and it was all for me.

“Oh shit.” There was feeling with that too. It caused Zye to look up from the beef.
“What? What is it?”
“You’ll know in about 3-2—” I started the countdown to a big ass scene in the middle of Foodlion.
“Hey MyMy!” Nyani called me by my pet name, one I hadn’t heard in about two years.
“Yo…how ya been?” I asked. I hate awkward situations. Nyani didn’t seem to notice as she stood there holding a gallon of milk.
“Oh, so its like that? I can’t even get a hug?” She gave me the pouty face that used to make me feel like a mindless zombie.

The hug was awkward and uncomfortable. The tension was so thick I felt like I was encased by it. Nyani’s eyes flicked to Zye. I saw the question in them. Zye wasn’t standing intimately close to me but we were a couple and he wasn’t a mile away either. Nyani didn’t know about my new relationship because last I’d heard she’d moved to another state after our little altercation.

“Oh...Nyani, this is Zye—Zyiah. Zyiah this is Nyani.” She smiled flirtatiously and shook his hand. For the first time Zye didn’t try to dazzle anyone with his charisma. Something was wrong. God, why me?

“MyAn, you never told me you had such a cute friend.” She playfully pushed me but her eyes were all for Zye. Do you see the problem with this broad? She was a bit too widespread for me if you know what I mean.

“Uh...yeah. I guess I didn’t.” I had one of my premonitions again. This was about to get really bad really quickly. Looking back on it, I should have just ducked out of there or something before she got to us to avoid the whole situation.

When I said that Zye made a noise. It was something like a cough, or more like a sarcastic grunt. When I heard that I knew my premonition was dead on the money.
“So that’s what it is?” I looked at Zye when he said this and the anger was all but concealed. Damn it! He was heated and at that moment I didn’t really understand why so he proceeded to explain it to me.

“I’m the friend you never introduced. Is that right?” He went on and on. Nyani was looking perplexed and I was feeling like someone had punched me in my stomach. I never thought Zye was the jealous type or the type to make things flair up from nothing.

“What is he talkin’ about, MyMy?” Nyani scrutinized me very carefully. The wheels in her head spinning out of control. They both were staring at me. I felt like I wanted to die and reincarnate into something that could dip out of that store without being noticed.

“Nyani…Zye is…well…” I couldn’t even finish.

“I’m his boyfriend, bitch. And I don’t appreciate the way you were all up on him when you hugged him either.” That was it. Zye dropped the bomb and it blew the hell up too. I suddenly had a bit more empathy for Hiroshima and the whole Pearl Harbor incident.

Nyani stood gaping at Zye. Her eyes looked like golf balls and her pretty little face was twisted in utter confusion. Zye’s face was blank. The anger was hidden behind that beautiful mask of nothing. I knew he was waiting for me. Waiting, fearfully no doubt, to see if I would deny his ass or be a man…his man.

“First of all, who the fuck are you callin’ a bitch, motha fucka!” Nyani began the neck rolling thing and I simply put my head down. People were walking by looking like “Oh Lord, there go some more angry black people making the rest of us look bad.” I had given people that look before. I knew it quite well.

“Damn it, nigga you gonna answer me. And what is this bull shit you talkin’? You his fuckin’ boyfriend? Is that so?” She averted her fiery gaze to me. “So you a fuckin’ fag now? I fucked you up so bad that you had to go get on somebody dick, is that it?”

Time stopped. Not literally but it slowed down or something. Nyani was a loud person by nature. When she got pissed that was magnified by a hundred. I was not in anybody’s closet but that does not mean I want it announced to the general public, especially worded that way.

“Nyani—”I began.

“What My? What the fuck is it? I know he aint lyin’ cuz you aint beat the shit outta him for sayin’ some shady shit like that in the first place. So what the hell you got to say, huh? Let me know. I want to fuckin’ know why you don’t like pussy no more? A bitch aint good enough for you? Tell me.”

“Why the fuck you gotta make a scene?” My lips were clenched. I tried my best to contain my anger.

“A scene!” Her voice got impossibly higher. She was almost squeaking now.
“Yes, a scene.” It took heaven to keep my voice low.
“Oh, no. You aint seen a scene yet motha fucka. I got your scene.” She turned away from us. “Can somebody tell me how a nigga can leave a bitch to be with another nigga? When does ass beat pussy? Somebody tell m—”

That was it. I snapped. The reason she didn’t finish her sentence is because I snatched her. I covered her mouth with my hand so she’d shut the fuck up. People were staring and it pissed me off even more.

I whispered in her ear, “I’m gonna let you go now. I want you to be calm. Can you do that?” She nodded a yes. I let her go. BIG mistake.

“I can’t believe you!” Tears were flowing from her eyes. “I can’t fuckin’ believe you!”

All I could do was stare at her, trying not to show anything that would make her angrier. I had not expected her to cry. Zye began to pull me away…carefully and slowly. The way you’d back away from an escaped tiger or something.

“Oh my God! And you’re gonna leave with him? So the shit is true? You on dick now?!” Nyani’s anger had leaked away to pure hurt. Weariness overcame me and I just let Zye pull me away.

“You know, if what you claim were true I could definitely see why he would leave a crazy bitch like you for a man.” Zye said this to Nyani. All she could do was stare at him. For the first time in her life she was speechless.

Once Zye and I were home he came and apologized to me. I accepted. And I apologized to him as well for not standing up for him, for us. It seems that seeing her made him feel insecure because he knew I had never been with a man before. He hadn’t liked the way she’d touched me all possessive and stuff. His bitchiness came from a good place…love.

“Baby, you don’t have to worry about that. You got me. That bitch sure as hell won’t have me again. Especially not after screaming like a banshee in public. I can’t believe how psycho she is. She seemed to conveniently forget that I left her cheatin’ ass cuz she was fuckin’ her best friend when she was supposed to be with me.” We were cuddled together on the couch.

“Hahaha. I guess so. My…I love you so much.” That made me smile like a damn clown. He had that affect on me.

“I love you too, sweetheart. More than anything.” We stared in each other’s eyes for a minute or so and then we kissed. Duh! What else would we do in such a passionate moment? In the middle of the kiss Zye grunted. I thought I was just getting to him because I’m so damn sexy then I realized he was trying to talk.

“Say what bay?” I whispered.

“I said…We never got the damn steak. I’m hungry as hell.”

That night was finished with laughter. I never thought I’d have drama. My past doesn’t usually come up all that much because I don’t have that much of a past. I couldn’t hold Zye’s actions against him when he met the only person who had ever returned my affection besides him. I had to forgive him especially after what I did when I met one of his exes, the one whom he’d damn near married.

1 comment:

I.M. said...

Hahaha. This is exactly what I wanted to see next, the introduction of his ex. It was full of flares and you gave me a mad Zye. It was like Christmas and my birthday and Jesus at the door with a margarita just for me.

I am glad that you are starting to flesh out Zye more. He is a juicy character with all of his subtle shifts in mood. One thing to consider is throwing in a few more lines describing his physicality. He is the quite but passionate type but I suspect his body language may reveal more than his voice will. And I think it would be a nice push for you to just throw in a few more environment description. Plus I want to crystallize Zye in my mund's eye.

The chapters are still ending on a high note with the couples issues resolved by the end. This is not a judgement if that just an observation. I will admit though that I an still waiting for that big incident that will take a few chapters for them to resolve. I am also anxious to meet some of their friends.

All in all, another great chapter.