Sunday, September 20, 2009

It Takes A Moment



Often times, we tend to forget that it takes one moment of recollection to resolve issues. One moment of wisdom to end an argument or stop yourself from hurting the ones you love. My one moment was on stage at my most recent performance.

I performed, the performance was successful overall. I did not stammer over my words or forget my piece, but what I did fail to do was enjoy the moment, at least in hindsight. I didn't feel the fulfillment and exhilaration of being on stage, doing what I was born to do and in that moment of reflection I had an overwhelming urge to better myself.

Better myself in many ways but at that pivotal point in time, it was a betterment of my stage presence. "Stage presence" typically suggests being on a stage but I feel that stage presence could also be an everyday facet of your life. Some call it confidence, swag, aura, but no matter what it's called, I argue that the root of it all is presence. A presence within yourself that leaks out and inspires people to take notice of you, though that may not be your goal (to make people notice you). It would just be a consequence of your "stage presence."
All this came to me in a moment.

Watching Mary J. Blige perform in Tyler Perry's "I CAN DO BAD ALL BY MYSELF" was another moment that stage presence became tangible to me. It became something of substance because Mary was EVERYTHING on that stage. It was her moment to shine and she shone so bright that I think the stars had to dim themselves to keep from being blinded. It takes a moment, but it's up to you to make that moment mean something.

No comments: